This project is the largest public contract ever signed in Albania. Undertaken by Enka and Bechtel in September 2006 the Rrëshen -Kalimash Motorway Project is a key connection between Durres Port, Albania’s primary harbour on the Adriatic Sea, and Kosovo.
The 61 kilometres motorway crosses the mountainous northern region of Albania, linking the cities of Rrëshen and Kalimash, and is divided into three sections. Its designers are Scetauroute (France) for Sections 1 and 3, and Italconsult (Italy), for Section 2. Section 1 is an 18 kilometres long stretch from Rrëshen to Reps, section 2 is 27 kilometres long and travels from Reps to Thirra, section 3 connects Thirra and Kolshi and is 15 kilometres long. At Mount Runes, at an altitude of 1,858 meters, the construction includes a 5.5 kilometres long double bore tunnel.
In addition to the many economic and social benefits, from the construction of this Motorway, the transportation duration between Tirana and Kosovo border is reduced from 8 hours to 3 hours.
Rreshen Kalimash Motorway
Scope of Work
|Total Km||61 km|
|Total Interchange||3 ea|
|Total Tunnel Length||11,000 m|
|Total Underpass||3 ea|
|Total Overpass||4 ea|
|Total Bridge Length||4,420 m|
|Total Haul Road||92 km|
|Total Excavation||34 Million m³|
|Total Fill||13 Million m³|
|Total Concrete||501,000 m³|
|Total Pile||1,389 m|
|Total Drainage Pipe||16,000 m|
|Total Subbase&CTB||1,595,000 tons|
|Total Asphalt||455,000 tons|
LocationRreshen – Kalimash, Albania
- The most challenging part of the whole corridor was the segment between Rrëshen and Kalimash, which is around 61 kilometres long. Before the motorway, transportation was provided by poor old mountain road and travel time was eight hours. The Rrëshen – Kalimash Motorway’s main purpose is to serve as a faster and safer route through the mountainous region
- Difficult terrain conditions and harsh climate conditions were two big challenges. To cross this difficult terrain, bridges, viaducts and tunnels were designed and constructed. Due to the 800 meters of overburden on top of the tunnel, it was not possible to reach anywhere across the tunnel alignment except the entrance and exit locations. In order to reach portals of the tunnel, 17 kilometres of service road were constructed. This service road was closed for 3 months in the year due to the harsh weather conditions. The total service road constructed for this project is 92 kilometres
- In addition to difficult terrain and harsh climate conditions, geological conditions were not stable and continuous throughout the tunnel and motorway alignment. This enforced engineers to use more than one method during construction
- Despite the difficult conditions, the project was completed successfully and the travel time will be reduced from eight hours to three hours, as the new road will be 45 kilometres shorter than the current two-lane highway. In addition to the great amount of travel time saved, this new route will serve to stimulate the economy in Albania’s north-eastern region.
ENKA SCOPE OF SERVICES
The Motorway is designed as dual carriageways of 2×3.75 meters, supplemented with 2-meter emergency shoulder lanes. The major work items comprise of 34 million cubic meters of excavation, 13 million cubic meters of earth filling, 0.5 million cubic meters of concrete, 1.6 million tons of subbase and cement treated base and 0.45 million tons of asphalt. The construction of bridges and viaducts at an altitude of 5 km in the challenging mountainous terrain of Albania is included in the contractual works. At Mount Runes, at an altitude of 1,858 meters, construction includes a 5.5 kilometres long double bore tunnel.
SIGNIFICANT FEATURES AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- The largest public contract ever signed in Albania.